By combining Cloud Computing with enterprise VPNs, a virtual private cloud is created to expand and upgrades management capabilities.
Virtual Private Cloud in Cloud computing
1. What is Virtual private cloud?
The private cloud implies that the entire infrastructure is deployed internally and therefore only accessible to customers. Customers have full control, operation and maintenance of the system.
2. Benefits of Virtual private cloud.
- Full control – Because the entire infrastructure is located at the enterprise, so the enterprise has full control over the data. The enterprise is responsible for operation and maintenance of the system.
- High security – Devices and services are located in place so only businesses can access the data. This does not mean that the “public cloud” is not secure, but “virtual private clouds” make businesses feel “safer”. Traffic from and to the Virtual Private Cloud stays inside the firewall without crossing the Internet. With routing policies, companies can also identify which users are allowed to reach the Cloud resources and which are not.
- High Performance – Due to the deployment on a local area network (LAN), the speed of accessing the services will be much faster than the Internet environment. Congestion on the Internet can interrupt or slow down your application. Inbound congestion could prevent application performance to be efficient and make applications run slowly.
With Virtual Private Cloud, the cloud resources are routed through the corporate MPLS based WAN. So, traffic with a high priority can be marked and delivered accordingly.
- Legal issues – Some industries / sectors (health care) require high levels of legality. “Private clouds” are the solution in the case of public cloud services.
- Easy to customize – Business can actively select the hardware device configuration, network according to the needs of use.
3. Disadvantages of Virtual Private Cloud.
High Costs – Private cloud deployment costs will be much higher than public clouds due to the cost of investing in equipment, data centers (places, electricity, refrigeration systems …).
Operational – Private clouds require an IT team to operate regularly. There are also other risks such as damage data loss due to fire, power…
4. The challenges of Virtual Private Cloud.
When creating VPN connection points, there should be close coordination between network operators and cloud providers. Cloud services do not guarantee absolute security when attaching them to a VPN. VPNs are often associated with physical facilities such as routers, switches, and so forth, while cloud services require isolation from them. Therefore, when combining these two parts need to calculate carefully and accurately. The VPN connection points must be linked to the VLANs inside the cloud datacenter.
Private clouds provide high levels of control over data and applications. Private clouds fit the type of business that demands high legal issues as well as the sensitivity of data such as medical and financial. However, cloud deployment requires careful consideration to avoid wasting time and money. Private clouds are suitable for large corporations (corporations) because of the availability of infrastructure and IT staff.